* A.J.Millan
> In respect to  SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE "tablename"
>
> Seemingly it doesn't work.

It would require that you have allready issued "USE dbName", or started the
client with dbName as a parameter, making it the 'current' database.

> The sintax  SHOW TABLE STATUS FROM dbName
>
> Work fine, but it works at database level (can present access problems).

You can combine FROM and LIKE:

SHOW TABLE STATUS FROM dbName LIKE "tablename"

Note that you can use wildcards with the LIKE operator, % represent zero or
more characters: LIKE "a%" would list all tables with a name starting with
"a".

> Also must obtain the result for ALL the tables in the database (it is not
> direct).
>
> In respect to ORDER BY ... DESC combined with LIMIT 1:
>
> I´v arrived to this other for my own (thank you anyway), but I
> suspect that maybe it is not very efficient from the computation
> point of view (I suppose it must travel the whole table to discard
> the undesired results).

No, unless you have a very old version of mysql this should use the index
and be very fast.

> LAST_INSERT_ID() function:
>
> This other one has proven before, but in my case it returns many
> results (in fact, the last one es the desired data).

I don't understand... LAST_INSERT_ID() returns many results? It should
return a single integer, the id of the previous auto_increment INSERT.

--
Roger