The short answer is `yes`. Your fields should match the data that they
will hold. It sounds like the creator is accustomed to using tools such
as MS Access where the `Text` field is a common catch all datatype.

On 2/5/04, 3:45:57 PM, Adam Staunton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
regarding Couple of questions relating to bext practice.:

> Hi all,

> I have had a new mysql db set up and I noticed that the creator has
basically given all fields attributes of "longtext", except of course the
date fields and some numerical fields. The longtext fields show up as
"memo" when I try and view the data in a gui tool etc.

> The database has 200 fields and could hold 10000 records over time.

> My question is:

> Should I be modifying these fields to normal text fields with a length of
"x" (x being whatever length necessary for the field), or leaving them as
longtext. Leaving them as longtext wouldn't be a good idea , would it ?