Hi

I have to rebuild a database for someone that currently has in excess of
twelve tables with around 20K records in the biggest table, the whole
structure needs looking at as the original designer used char and int for
everything, from dates to yes/no fields!!

The db is accessed from a VB program (which I also have to re-write) due to
a severe lack of data entry validation and any error checks at all, what I
would like to know is what is the best way to retrieve the records for
display, if I form a collection of all the entries in the main table it
takes a long time, can this be speeded up?  Currently the program starts at
record 1 and then just retrieves the next by its id number, if the next rec
does not exist it then simply moves on, this is fine as is, but I can see
some problems as this method means that unless I know exactly what I am
looking for I have to cycle through all 20k records to find anything.

How long should a query on 20k records take?

What is the fastest way to retrieve records from the DB?

Does that make sense to anyone but me ;)

Thanks

Paul Owen