Thanks. But I would have thought that such information would have been
kept automatically somewhere by the server, and it's just a case of how
to get at it. I have quite a few tables in each database so I don't
really want to have to maintain a timestamp on each update, and then go
around all of them at backup time :(

Anyone got any other ideas?