Hi,

Am Freitag, 6. Februar 2004 16:03 schrieb Dusan Spisak:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I need to create some simple database. I've started to build it up in
> Microsoft Access. MS Access was really great for me, it was very easy and
> user friendly, intuitive. Without any manual I've managed to create a
> table, to create some views and queries and to prepare reports from them.
> But, I don't have MS Access at home. I don't want to use illegal software
> and I am not keen on buying it. That's why I've looked up MySQL. I thought
> MySQL could be something similar to Access, and for free, so I downloaded
> it. But now, I've installed it and I realized, that it's something
> different. There is need to run some server.... and i don't understand it.
>
> Here is my question:
> Is it possible to use MySQL in the similar way to Access? Without any
> servers and administration and clients and controlcenter...? I don't need
> any network at all, I just would like to create and run some small database
> for home use. Is it possible in MySQL? And, it seems, there is no user
> interface in MySQL at all. Am I right?

Mysql is the right tool for ya. There exist some nice GUIs for it, i always
recommend "phpMyAdmin". To make it run u need to install php and a webserver.
Sounds more complicated than it is. And if ya do it u will have a complete
System (with linux often called LAMP - Linux Apache Mysql Php). These
components work together just fine. And using phpMyAdmin will give u the
freedom to create tables, fill them, work with them and all that stuff just
using ur mouse without knowing anything about the actual sql-syntax.

Give it a try, u will love a apache-mysql-php system once u installed it
succesfully :)

Bernd

--
[Zufallssig 2]