Michael,

----- Original Message -----
From: "MIchael Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 1:03 AM
Subject: INNODB - Reclaiming ibdata space and various ibdata questions

> --0-1416817391-1076108604=:94234
>
> Good Afternoon and thank you in advance for any help that you may be able
to provide.

> QUESTION 1 : How do you reclaiming ibdata space?
>
> We have 3 databases that together use several ibdata files (ie each
database does not have its own ibdata file) .  We would like to drop 2
databases and reclaim the ibdata space that the 2 databases took up.  What
is the best way to do this?

> QUESTION 2 : Can you have multiple MySQL Instances that contain one
database and a seperate ibdata spaces?  Is this the best way to create
seperate ibdata files for each database?  What would you recommend?

please see http://www.innodb.com/ibman.php#Multiple.tablespaces That solves
the disk allocation problems.

> QUESTION 3:  How can you defrag a database instead of a table?

There is no such command. You have to write a script for that.

> We have found that you can defrag a table: "From MySQL Manual: The way to
do the defragmenting is to perform a 'null' alter table operation ALTER
TABLE tablename TYPE=InnoDB."  We would like to do this for the complete
database.

> Thanks again for any help.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Mike

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/