Chris,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Elsworth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 7:25 PM
Subject: InnoDB Hot Backup & new tablespace format

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know if InnoDB Hot Backup supports the new tablespace
> format being introduced in the latest versions of InnoDB?

ibbackup-2.0 is ready to be rolled out. It supports backing up also the .ibd
files. You can request an eval copy for Linux.

> I'm quite tempted to switch from MyISAM to InnoDB using the new
> tablespace format, but I'm put off by how inflexible InnoDB files seem
> to be. I like being able to move .MYD and .MYI files around and have
> any mysqld use them; InnoDB seems a bit picky about that.
> Does the new one-file-per-tablespace format change any of that? Is
> there any actual advantage to using it?

Currently, .ibd files CANNOT be moved between different installations.
Please read carefully
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.php#Multiple.tablespaces

But it is rather easy to add later a feature which would allow moving
'clean' .ibd files. That only requires resetting all lsn's and trx id's in
the .ibd file.

> Thanks for any replies,
> --
> Chris

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/