Greetings,

I've been looking at the backup/recover related discussions in the list
archives for a while.  Seems to me most people use either mysqldump or
mysqlhotcopy.  We don't have a good MySQL backup scheme in place yet.  Now
I have some questions based on my reading.

How do I know how each table was created if using mysqlhotcopy solely if
recovery needs to re-create the tables?  On the other side, my concern
about just using mysqldump is it may take long to backup and recover.  The
size of all the databases we want to back up is about 5G.  We can only
allow the databases unavailable for access for a couple of minutes at most
if downtime can not be avoided completely.  So I'm thinking about making
use of both mysqldump and mysqlhotcopy together.  By that I mean using
mysqldump to dump table structures only (without any data) once a week so
I can know how the tables were created in the first place and using
mysqlhotcopy to backup actual database binary files every day.  How bad is
my idea?

Thanks in advance for sharing experiences,

Bing