Bing Du wrote:

Greetings,

I've been looking at the backup/recover related discussions in the list
archives for a while.  Seems to me most people use either mysqldump or
mysqlhotcopy.  We don't have a good MySQL backup scheme in place yet.  Now
I have some questions based on my reading.

We use mysqldump and then a standard backup tool triggered by cron to backup the file it creates. If you use mysqldump without the -d or -t flags, you will get the sql necessary to recreate the tables as well as the insert statements necessary to populate the tables. For our particular application (which generates large amounts of DB reads and very few inserts/updates/deletes) we found that using mysqldump gave us an accurate snapshot of the data and was less to back up since the indexes in our case can get quite large. We've been using that method for quite some time with good results.