Okay, I tried all of that and I still couldn't connect.

Here is what I got from the .err file:

040212 15:54:38 mysqld started
InnoDB: The first specified data file ./ibdata1 did not exist:
InnoDB: a new database to be created!
040212 15:54:38 InnoDB: Setting file ./ibdata1 size to 10 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
040212 15:54:38 InnoDB: Log file ./ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile0 size to 5 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
040212 15:54:39 InnoDB: Log file ./ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created
InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables
InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created
040212 15:54:39 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 0
040212 15:54:39 Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist
040212 15:54:39 mysqld ended

Hmmm...

Marty Ray