From: David Christensen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:22 AM
To: mysql
Subject: Installation issue on SuSE 9.0 Pro box

Good Morning!

I'm trying to get MySQL 4.0.15 running on a new SuSE linux PC.  This is
my first attempt installing on SuSE after setting up a large number of
Red Hat machines without problem.  Right now, however, I'm continually
receiving errors that I just don't understand where they are coming
from.  I've even copied the .cnf file from my primary MySQL server
(which has been running for months) and get the errors when it's trying
to fire up.

Errors received are:

    040211 17:31:37 mysqld started
/usr/sbin/mysqld: ERROR: unknown variable
'innodb_data_home_dir=/var/data/mysql/'
    040211 17:31:37 mysqld ended

To get started, I copied the my-large.cnf to /etc as my.cnf and have
edited the file to reflect the directories I'm using to store data and
logs.  The file I am using is as follows:
(See attachment)

I just don't get this one.  All of the syntax seems okay, and I'm
actually using the file on a Red Hat 9.0 machine.

Thanks!

Dave Christensen

# *******************************************************************************
# *** MySQL Database Parameters for Brokers International, LX01               ***
# *** ======================================================================= ***
# *** Author:   D Christensen           Date:   April 2, 2003                 ***
# *** Production Databases                                                    ***
# *******************************************************************************

# The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
[client]
#password       = your_password
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/data/mysql/mysql.sock

# Here follows entries for some specific programs

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/data/mysql/mysql.sock
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=16M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M
set-variable    = table_cache=256
set-variable    = sort_buffer=16M
set-variable    = record_buffer=16M
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
set-variable    = thread_cache=8
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
set-variable    = thread_concurrency=4
# log-bin
server-id       = 1
# basedir       = /var/lib/mysql
datadir         = /var/data/mysql

innodb_data_home_dir = /var/data/mysql
innodb_data_file_path =
ibdata1:2000M;ibdata2:2000M;ibdata3:2000M;ibdata4:2000M;ibdata5:2000M:autoextend
innodb_log_group_home_dir = /var/data/logs/mysql/
innodb_log_arch_dir = /var/data/logs/mysql/
# You can set .._buffer_pool_size up to 50 - 80 %
# of RAM but beware of setting memory usage too high
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=256M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=20M
# Set .._log_file_size to 25 % of buffer pool size
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=64M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

# Point the following paths to different dedicated disks
tmpdir          = /usr/tmp/
log-update      = /var/data/logs/mysql/LX01

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=128M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=128M