Greetings,

I'm part of a project that deals with high-resolution topological
data generated by LIDAR technology and we're considering using
mySQL to store the row data (xyz triplets).
Right now we have aproximatelly 40 GB of ASCII files with such data.
In this format a triplet is represented by ~29 bytes and if I load
them as double in the db, it will take 24 bytes, so the final size
of a simple xyz table will be of the same magnitude.

My questions is, is there any server fine-tuning that I can do in
order to improve performances for such a large dataset?
Does anyone have any positive experience dealing with this kind of
databases?

Thank you,
        Dorel