I'm interested in trying to tune MySQL's memory usage variables in my /etc/my.cnf file.

I'm currently using the default settings (except for max_allowed_packet, which I've had to increase to support some large queries that I make), they work well. Here is what I've got:

key_buffer_size                   8M
max_allowed_packet                8M
myisam_sort_buffer_size           8M
net_buffer_length                 16K
sort_buffer_size                  2M
table_cache                       64
thread_concurrency                10
read_buffer_size                  128K

This is on a Linux box with 1.5GB ram and dual 600Mhz P3s. It also runs Apache for a site that doesn't get much load. It's runs a db for that small site and another db for a larger site that gets a fair amount of load (and has it's web server running on another box).

In the past, I have tried the my-huge.cnf settings, but they made things slower, so I backed off and went back to the defaults. But, I figure I can probably do better than the defaults, so I was going to try to increase some of these more moderately to see if it helps.

Here's what I was planning to try

No change:
max_allowed_packet                8M
net_buffer_length                 16K
sort_buffer_size                  2M

Some changes:
key_buffer_size 32M
myisam_sort_buffer_size 32M
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency (this note from the "my-huge" file)
thread_concurrency 4
table_cache 128
read_buffer_size 256K

Anyway, I just thought I'd run these be you all to see if I could get any comments.
I haven't found much in the way of recommendations for settings to try for my situation, so I'm just sort of guessing here.

-bill