>> I prefer TCL because on my opinion it is the best of both worlds
>> ( i never had a memleak except with a bad API written in C).
>Bad...written in C...was it a SCO library?
>> Complex tasks should be done from skilled programmers - thats all.
>Additionally, complex tasks should be decomposed into simple tasks by
>skilled programmers. :-)

     Trying to turn this discussion back toward MySQL, a language not
mentioned here that has withstood the test of time is PERL.  When looking
at the results coming from and RDBMS, it is basically a list of data.  This
is where PERL excels, dealing with text and manipulating it.  Showing my
age, I will state that I have been using C for over 21 years, and PERL
almost as long.

     When it comes to dealing with speed, C is likely to be the best
candidate since it is just a small step above the assembly language that
would be the fastest, but least maintainable.  I am somewhat familiar with
this due to my 13 years working inside the Unix kernel at various companies.
Coupled with 9 years of RDBMS experience, including a 200 GB Oracle database
back in '95, I have dealt with many different programming tasks.

     Bottom line on all this is using the right tool for the job.  As an
analogy, it is quite possible to remove a switch plate from the wall with
a claw hammer.  But the results aren't real pretty. :)

     Knowing which tool to utilize, is where experience and skill comes into
play for the programmer worth his salt.
                         Brad Eacker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])