If it weren't for the nasty issue of getting a Java applet to talk to a
form, which is a real pain due to the issue of getting a certificate for
your applet, I'd recommend that because it the whole shebang is pretty
straightforward: write a simple GUI to act as your form, write the code to
access the database using JDBC, and deploy the applet.

I use Java servlets to talk to HTML forms all the time and that is pretty
easy, assuming you don't mind taking the time to learn about servlets and a
container like Tomcat. Since servlets are widely used, you should probably
think of the time needed to learn servlets as an investment in your future
that will make you more employable. Then again, you might be really tired of
learning new stuff at this point ;-)

I found Perl to be pretty straight-forward for doing program/application
interactions. I've also found that database access isn't bad from Perl. I've
never tried accessing MySQL from Perl but I've accessed DB2 and that was no
great challenge so MySQL shouldn't be any harder.

I might get an argument from others but I think jscript (a.k.a. javascript)
is probably your poorest choice. When I looked into accessing a database
from javascript a year or two ago, I couldn't find *anything* on how to do
it and got no replies when I posted to a Javascript newsgroup to ask how.

I can't comment on the difficulty of using C++, VB, or CGI; I've never
really used those so I have no opinion.

Overall, I'd say a Java servlet or a Perl program are definitely your best
bets from the technologies you mentioned.

Just my two cents worth,

Rhino