On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:30:38PM -0600, Paul DuBois wrote:
At 15:18 -0800 2/23/04, Jim Richardson wrote:
Installing a new RHEL box, with 3.23.58. (it's what RH provides, and I
don't feel like using stuff from out of the RH tree.) I am a little
confused about the privileges. I have done a GRANT ALL on *.* to root
IDENTIFIED BY 'password'; which is great, but if I run mysql so

mysql -u [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I get in, no password. How can I tell mysql to refuse anything that
isn't from localhost, and to require a password for root no matter
what?  Thanks. New to MySQL and databases in general, trying to make
sure I don't screw up too badly.

When you specify an account name for the GRANT statement, if you specify only the username part, the hostname part defaults to '%'. So your GRANT statement is actually equivalent to GRANT ... TO 'root'@'%'.

Clobber that account and specify GRANT ... TO 'root'@'localhost'
instead.  Then root will be able to connect only from the localhost.

Thanks for your help. I realize now I was misunderstanding something,
that anyone can log into mysql from localhost, but they can't *do* much
of anything except with test_ databases. That was part of my problem,
the rest was answered with your post. Thanks. Now back to reading the
MySQL book, the author's name seems familiar... :)

"$HOME is where your dotfiles are"
- Gym Quirk