I am beginning the process of moving an exising MySQL/Apache server, (or rather, several of the sites there) to a new machine, to spread the load, and allow us to upgrade the servers bit by bit.

Versions of MySQL are both 3.23.58

Apache and PHP, etc, is set up and humming along nicely, doing mostly
nothing yet on the new server, but doing it very well.

My plan is as follows.

Set up the old server (which I will call Alpha) to binlog it's
transactions, and act as a master.

Set up the new server (now called Beta, so original) to replicate from
Alpha.

Dump the DB from Alpha, insert it into Beta, (with Alpha set to not
process transactions for this time) then restart Beta, to start
replicating. Restart Alpha to run normally.

Verify that replication, is occuring, and that all transactions are
working well.

(is there an easy way to check consistancy between master and slave?
RTFM is fine, if you can please point me to the FM in question :)

Then after I am sure that all is well, I will play jiggery pokery games
with BIND and hopefully, all will be well, after a few hours for the
changes to replicate.

Is there something on the MySQL end I am missing? forgetting? not taking
into account?

The firewall rules will block all connections to 3306 that don't come
from either Alpha or Beta, the data isn't sensitive in any way, so I am
not worried about sniffing, and I will shut the replication connection
down after all is working on Beta.

Thanks all.

All life is a conjugation of the verb "to eat"