hi,
    I am using mysql 4.0.14. I have a table where one of the fields has a
datatype longblob. What I am trying to do is to enter a genome sequence which
has around 1750000 characters. the file size is about 1.5MB which is well
within the longblob size. I am using python to enter the sequence from a file
to the database and the while i am running the python program ,the connection
to the db is lost. So it takes in only around 103500 characters.

I tried changing the variables in mysql,the max_allowed_packet  using the
following command:

set max_allowed_packet=400000000;

I tried changing it to max 4G which is the maximum size for longblob. But it
changed to a maximum of 1G.

Even is it is 1G, the size of the file i am trying to enter is well within the
size of the datatype.

I am not sure how to enter this huge string. What should I do??

thanks,
liz