Philip Mak wrote:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:50:39AM -0700, Sasha Pachev wrote:

If I understood the problem correctly, the answer to it is actually
undefined. If you order by lastPostTime, the records with the same
lastPostTime value can be returned in any order.

I guess to accomplish your goal you could  add a column seq_ord int
not null to keep track of the record order according to your
expectations, and then order by lastPostTime,seq_ord

The table has an "id" column ("id" is the primary key) that works like
your seq_ord suggestion, so I guess I could have a query like this:

SELECT *
FROM topics
ORDER BY lastPostTime DESC, id DESC

But then given a certain id = $id, I'm not sure of the best way to
count the number of rows that would be returned in the above query
before the row with id = $id. Is there any solution that looks like
this:

SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM topics
ORDER BY lastPostTime DESC, id DESC
HAVING <<not sure what to put here?>>

Or do I have to do this, which feels kludgy:

$postTime = SELECT lastPostTime FROM topics WHERE id = $id;

SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM topics
WHERE lastPostTime > $postTime
OR (lastPostTime = $postTime AND id > $id);

Can you just add id > $id to the where clause?

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/