--- Sasha Pachev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gowtham Jayaram wrote:
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I have 2 machines, Primary and Secondary.  The
> updates
> > on the Primary are being replicated on the
> Secondary
> > via MySQL Replication.
> >
> > Additionally there are updates to specific tables
> > (Alarms) that are more important than other
> updates.
> > I do not want the Alarm updates to be queued
> behind
> > the other less important updates.  I would want
> the
> > Alarm updates to get be prioritized ahead of the
> other
> > updates to get replicated immediately.
> >
> > I do understand that MySQL replication is fast.
> > However we have a decently write-heavy system and
> > there is the possibility of the Slave lagging the
> > Master.  If the Master goes down during this
> situation
> > the idea is not to lose the Alarms because they
> got
> > queued up behind the less important updates.
> >
> > To solve this issue, I could only think off
> running 2
> > separate MySQL processes, one process to handle
> the
> > important tables and other process to handle the
> > others.
> >
> > Is there are better way to handle this
> requirement?
> >
> > All feedback is most welcome.  Thank you.
>
> In 4.0, the slave copies the binlog from the master
> and stores it locally before
> processing it. So as long as your slave can keep up
> with binlog I/O, you should
> be fine even if the slave falls behind in query
> processing by a lot, and the
> master dies.

Thank you for pointing this out.  I ran some tests
over a slow network and the Slave continues to update
from the relay log even after the Master went done.

However, Is there a solution for the situation in
which the relay log on the Slave has not kept up with
the Master binLog I/Os AND the Master goes down?

Also, in the above situation is there a way to
prioritize updates to be replicated ?

Gowtham.