hi, Mike.

What do this using an encrypted loopback-device, on which the
/var/lib/mysql stuff resides.

just check "man losetup" for instructions.

i'm NOT sure about the preformance issues, though.

and i am very concerned about filesystem-corruption....by my logic,
there's a double risk, since the "host" fs and the loopback-fs could be
damaged. and just imagine a eeny little tiny error in the "host file".
as far as i can judge, that would completely screw up the whole
partitition.....but i'd be VERY happy to be corrected on that.

(little hint: i store the passphrase on a floppy that has to be inserted
on boot. a little script reads it and mounts the loopback before kicking
of mysqld. the floppy is thereafter removed and stored safely)

cheers and HTH,

M.

Mike Koponick wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the list and did a little searching on the archives but
wanted to ask my question to the group.

I have a requirement to encrypt all data stored into a database. I was
wondering if there was a different way of doing this or should I use the
encrypt/decrypt functions?

The idea is that if someone stole the hard drive or computer, it would
be hard for someone to break into the database. It seems to me the best
way would be to encrypt the drive space, and use the login to
authenticate the encryption space on the hard drive.

Is something like this doable?

I'm running a server with RedHat 9.0/MySQL version 4.0.16.

Thanks in advance,

Mike