From: Gowtham Jayaram [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 1:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Replication / Synchronizing DB across different machines

>> But what happens if there is a break of
>> communication and the same record on both machines
>> is modified?  For example, if the sync link is ?
>> down, and I update record #1 on A, while at the
>> same time, another user is modifying record #1 on
>> server B.  When the link comes back online, how
>> will the servers be able to synchronize record #1,
>> or in the case that this is impossible (I can't
>> even imagine how I would do that manually - merge?
>> A overwrite B?  B overwrite A?), how does MySQL
>> flag it and let me know that there is a discrepancy

>> in the two DBs?

>From my understanding (please bear in mind I am new to
MySQL replication);

MySQL Replication does not support conflict
resolution.  So in the sceanrio wherein you have dual
masters actively updating the same data the conflict
resolution onus falls on the Application using MySQL
process.

Also, there is no need for the link between 'A' and
'B' to go down for this issue to surface.  The fact
that you have a dual-master setup is reason enough for
the problem you have explained above to surface.

Gowtham