From: Richard Davey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 5:32 PM
To: Jim McAtee
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re[2]: Type TEXT

Hello Jim,

JM> Thanks.  What (if any) difference is there then be between a
varchar(255) and
JM> a tinytext column?

On the surface nothing I believe. Varchar too is a variable length
data type. There may well be internal differences in the way MySQL
handles them however, but I couldn't tell you what.

JM> And what disadvantages are there be in using columns of type text,
rather
JM> than varchar(n)?  Are there performance penalties?

If your data will always fit into 255 characters (or less) then use a
varchar, if you always know the exact length then use a char. Use the
text range of data types if you need more storage space but still want
to be able to run fulltext indexes etc.

--
Best regards,
 Richard Davey