On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 19:00, Bostjan Skufca (at) domenca.com wrote:

Bostjan,

At first I shall mention you have set up your experiment the hardest way
for comments. You have different hardware, different MySQL versions and
different MySQL settings.   Normally you would like to change only one
of them at the time to be able to analyze the difference better.

Side Load also does not really benefits results accuracy, however if it
is really light making a run several times and taking the best results
might be reasonable.

Most of your results can be explained by  fsync() for .frm creation
added in MySQL 4.0.18 which  slows down CREATE/ALTER commands a bit,
which is however not critical for production.

I would also recommend you to get updated sql-bench version from public
"mysql-bench" BitKeeper tree it has more benchmarks available.

I have however no good explanations for you  select col+col query.
What is about results with same MySQL options  (notes you need to supply
them as some defaults were changed in MySQL 4.0, run "show variables" to
find out these)

--
Peter Zaitsev, Senior Support Engineer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Meet the MySQL Team at User Conference 2004! (April 14-16, Orlando,FL)
  http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/