Bostjan Skufca (at) domenca.com wrote:
Hello,

for the last few days I've been running benchmarks from sql-bench directory and tunning server parameters and I have few questions.

Firstly I would like to note that benchmarks were run on two different but similar machines:

Machine ONE:
Dual Xeon 2.4 533MHz FSB
4GB RAM
SCSI raid 10 (controller from Adaptec)
Reiserfs
Linux 2.4.25-grsec
MySQL 3.23.58
/etc/my.cnf is almost empty, server mostly uses defaults for given version
This one is running Apache also but was tested when very lightly loaded (<5req/s, <5queries/s)

Machine TWO:
Dual Xeon 2.4 400MHz FSB
2GB RAM
SCSI raid 1 (controller from Adaptec)
Reiserfs
Linux 2.4.25-grsec
MySQL 4.0.18
/etc/my.cnf is gracious, giving server enough resources - i guess
This one is actually a mail server but is running MySQL for testing and comparison purposes.

Both machines return similar results when doing hdparm on MySQLs' datadir disks (+/-2Mb for disk reads):
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.24 seconds =533.33 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.37 seconds = 46.72 MB/sec
(Does somebody also think this is not enogh?)

Running bonnie++ on machines also resulted in very similar results (results not included in this message).

Load on machines was not noticeable at the time of benchmarking but machine ONE is generally considered "more loaded" than machine TWO.

My questions have arisen from observations that in some results the older version of MySQL on "more loaded" machine was quite faster that the newer one.

Machine one has a faster memory bus - that is a factor, although not a factor of 2-fold performance difference - I would expect the difference to be no more than 5%. A "gracious" my.cnf often does harm. Try using the same one in both configurations. And, newer version is not necessarily faster in every way - it just has more features, and is usually faster on some queries that have been an serious issue in the past version.

-- Sasha Pachev Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/