The thing which bothers me most about MySQL is the lack of a proper boolean. I don't like having to abstract a tinyint(1) into true or false. As much of my work involves building applications with Yes or No questions, I think I am switching to PostgreSQL.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

What advantages, besides ease of setup, does MySQL hold over PostgreSQL? It would seem, to me, that the two are close competitors (both in quality, and performance).

Are you sure about quality? Check out:

http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html

You can check out postgresql's on the same site but they are significally less critical. After reviewing this and talking to some other people i'm switching over to postgresql. I'm sure there is a place with mysql but I don't think i'd trust it for anything critical unless you very confident your developers know what they are doing.