As a DBA and someone who has worked both with PostgresQL and MySQL, I think
I can answer this knowingly.

First, MySQL is significantly faster than PostgresQL and Oracle.

Second, MySQL is also a simpler database to set up and configure.

Third, the documentation is better, and there are far more third party books
out there.

Fourth, MySQL has a more impressive list of customers. Yes, there are some
large PostgresQL customers (the .org domain system?), but none like Yahoo
and Slashdot.

MySQL does not have triggers, stored procedures or views yet. Sub-selects
should be out in six months.

After fighting with PostgresQL to try to get it to use indexes, rewriting
tonnes of queries, and still getting poor performance, I gave up on it. I
prefer MySQL with InnoDB.

Some of the gotcha's are valid, and others can be found in any database.
Forewarned is forearmed.

David.