On Wednesday 03 March 2004 08:04 pm, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > In the manual that came with MySQL 4.0.17 (at least in the Mandrake
> > packages of such) it says I can use %f to get the microseconds in a
> > DATE_FORMAT call. This does not work, however, and searching the archives
> > reveals that %f was only added in 4.1.1.  So..which one is correct?  The
> > release announcement or the 4.0.17 documentation?  Is there a way to get
> > sub-second resolution in 4.0.17, or must I rely on my application?
>
> Joshua:
>
> The truth is determined by the way things actually are, and not by how they
> are documented :-) MySQL documentation is always for the latest bleeding
> edge version, and, in theory, should mentioned when the feature was
> introduced if it is fairly new, and not just in the Changelog.
> Unfortunately, it does not always happen. In this case, I believe the
> feature was introduced somewhere in 4.1. In fact, it would have to be - in
> order to give ms of a timestamp you need to store it with ms precision - a
> change that I would not expect to see mid-version.

OK...I was not referring to a timestamp, but simply a DATE_FORMAT call.  I'd
like to be able to do something like DATE_FORMAT(now(), %f), but when I do
that, I just get an 'f' in the result column.  I'll consider upgrading to
4.1.  We'll see.

Also, in regards to the documentation, I knew the documentation on the web
site was always "bleeding edge," but I had assumed that the docs included
with a version would only apply to that version.

Thanks for your help.

--
Joshua J. Kugler
Fairbanks, Alaska