Cliff wrote:
Hi, I have a whole database I wanted to convert to InnoDB from MyISAM, but
do not want to use alter table because of the problems I had last time. I
made a whole dump of the table using mysqldump and changed all of the table
create definitions from MyISAM to InnoDB. Theoretically this should be just
like creating a new innodb table from scratch and inserting new records.
However, while the MyISAM tables used ~30% of the cpu usage on a query,
InnoDB runs anywhere from 50-90% depending on the query. The databases
combined are approximately 200MB. Here is my cnf file:

[mysqld]
basedir=/mysql
long_query_time=3
log-slow-queries=/tmp/slowmysql.log
innodb_data_home_dir =
innodb_data_file_path = /mysql/data/innodb_data:300M:autoextend
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=300M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=150M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0

This is mysql 4.0.18 on freebsd 4.8-STABLE. We have 1GB of ram which should
be plenty to run the large queries that we are doing. Thanks in advance.

50-90% CPU vs only 30% could be actually an improvement ( less disk I/O, and relatively more time to get the data). The question is - does the query actually take less time? If not, it could be because a certain optimization available with MyISAM is not available with InnoDB. Isolate the trouble query, and do an EXPLAIN.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/