Sasha Pachev wrote:

Cliff wrote:

The query is running dramatically slower than the MyISAM query, sometimes
even causing mysql to freeze for a while. I searched this list and found a
few people saying that on FreeBSD mysql should be compiled using linux
pthreads if you are using InnoDB or else I would get this exact problem. Has
this been resolved or is should I recompile? I am using native freebsd
threads.

Compare the output of EXPLAIN for both MyISAM and InnoDB. Also, if you have a Linux or even Windows system around, test the same query on them to see if there is any difference.

I am not that familiar with FreeBSD, but from what I've seen, I would tend to use the approach "when in doubt, use LinuxThreads". The advice you've got does make sense - InnoDB runs a number of background threads, so if your thread implementation is lacking, it would hurt InnoDB more than MyISAM.

FreeBSD's thread library is a user-space setup. This can result in major performance issues when doing things that block.