Hans van Dalen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A question about locking. In my code (delphi but that doesn't much matter)
> I fire ad-hoc queries (select). Before the query i fire a locking query
> (read) for that particular tables. Something like this:
>
> lock tables tab1 a read, tab2 b read
> (execute)
> select * from tab1 a, tab2 b where.........
> (execute)
>
> In this case I get an error: tab1 is not locked using LOCK TABLES.

Works fine for me:

mysql> lock tables tab1 a read, tab2 b read;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from tab1 a, tab2 b where a.id=b.id;
+------+------+
| id   | id   |
+------+------+
|    2 |    2 |
+------+------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

What exactly versions do you use?

> If I change the locking query to: lock tables tab1 read, tab2 b read
> The first times I didn't get any error. But after some times of running my
> app the error: a is not locked using LOCK TABLES occur!?!?
>
> Ok finally I use the statement: lock tables tab1 read, tab1 a read, tab2 b
> read
> en everything works fine.
>
> The strangest thing about this is that sometimes it doesn't go wrong
> (locking using the lock statement with only the table aliases), other times
> it goes.
>
> When I execute the locking and the select query from my SQL explorer
> (borland) nothing is going wrong (makes no sense whatever you lock).
>
> It makes no difference I use version 4.0/4.1/5.0 (on suse linux).
>
> Anybody who has seen this before?????
>
> Okay the workaround is simple: don't use table aliases or use the above
> showed locking statement, but it makes me angry something like this errors
> are raised on unexpected moments in my production environment,.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com