>You have a previous version of MySQL installed, from the mysql.com RPM's.
To get rid of it, do:

>rpm -e 'MySQL*'
>
>first, then:
>
>rpm -ivh perl-DBD-MySQL-2.1021-3.i386.rpm mysql-server-3.23.58-1.i386.rpm
mysql-3.23.58-1.i386.rpm

> I tried 'locate' but could not find either file, so then tried 'rpm
> -e' of both
>
>When you use rpm -e, you  give it a package name (e.g. mysql-3.23.58-1.i386
or mysql) not a file name.

>-- Alex

Genius mate,

It worked!  I had tried the whole package name when I used '-e' but it did
not seem to make much difference.  However, using your wildcard idea seems
to have worked.  A pause then the command line again.  Put it your multi rpm
line and it kicked in and loaded beautifully.  Seems to be working, so now I
can get horribly confused with setting up the database.  Steep learning
curve, but really interesting.

Thanks again for you help.

Robb  (I'm free....:-))