John,

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Thorpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 7:34 PM
Subject: Innodb logfiles timestamp question

> Hi,
>
> I am running 4.0.4 using innodb tables on a linux box.
>
> My innodb config is
> innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:1800M;ibdata2:1800M;...ibdata10:1800M
> set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
> set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
> set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=500M
> set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=30M
> set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=800M
> set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=150M
>
> My question has to do with innodb's usage of the redo log files.
> Currently they are:
>    524288000 Mar 11 11:19 ib_logfile0
>    524288000 Mar  3 08:59 ib_logfile1
>    524288000 Mar 11 11:19 ib_logfile2
> I always see them timestamped like this, with two having identical
> times, or the same within a minute or two. The particular pair of
> the three having the same timestamp varies.

the checkpoint stamp fields are in the first ib_logfile. Does that explain
the observed phenomenon?

> I was under the impression that mysql would cycle through these
> logfiles - e.g. write to logfile0 until it is full, then switch
> to logfile1 until full, then logfile2.., then logfile0, etc.
>
> This doesn't appear to be the case.  Has anyone run across this
> before?
>
> (My goal is to reduce the size of the logfiles so that the
> time between switching is on the order of a couple hours rather
> than days.)
>
> Thanks,
> John

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php

Register now for the 2004 MySQL Users Conference!
http://www.mysql.com/events/uc2004/index.html