on 03/12/2004 09:31 PM, John Mistler at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> First I want to thank all of you guys for responding.  I feel a new sense of
> confidence that I will be able to get this thing going!
>
> However, my problems have compounded.  We now have a new problem.  I took
> the advice of one archived postings and dragged the four files seemingly
> installed by the mysql package at the location (in Mac language)
> users:johnmistler:<the four files> to the trash.  That didn't feel right to
> me once I did it, so I dragged them back.  They were named:
>
> 1. cd
> 2. md5
> 3. md5 sum
> 4. mysql

I don't know what those files are, they are not part of where mysql should
have installed its stuff, so there should in theory be no hard in removing
them.

You can remove mysql by doing the following
rm -r /usr/local/mysql
rm -r /Library/StartupItems/MySQL

This will get you back to a clean machine with no mysql, from there, run the
installer and this time follow the instructions exactly on how to start
mysql as well as how to set the root password to the mysql permissions
database.

If you still get stuck, drop me a email directly and I can walk you thought
it.