At 21:31 -0800 3/12/04, John Mistler wrote:
First I want to thank all of you guys for responding.  I feel a new sense of
confidence that I will be able to get this thing going!

However, my problems have compounded.  We now have a new problem.  I took
the advice of one archived postings and dragged the four files seemingly
installed by the mysql package at the location (in Mac language)
users:johnmistler:<the four files> to the trash.  That didn't feel right to
me once I did it, so I dragged them back.  They were named:

1. cd
2. md5
3. md5 sum
4. mysql

Now, when I go to the terminal and type:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql

I get:

tcsh: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql: Command not found

This suggests to me that the mysql file it is being directed to is not
there.  However, I can verify that the file "mysql" exists at this path (in
Mac Language):

users:johnmistler:mysql

It is listed as a document with Zero KB for its size (?).  It definitely is
one of the files that I dragged back from the trash.

Should I attempt to fix all of this, or go ahead with an uninstall?

Well, it's maybe a little risky to go ahead and trash all that stuff, but I'd guess that's what you want to do. If the mysql program isn't found as a command (as shown above), it's not doing you any good. You might try this command to see what kind of thing it actually is now:

file /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql

If I do need to uninstall, how do I do it? I installed the latest PACKAGE from the MySQL.com site 4.0.18-standard along with the startup item package.

Use the rm commands that Scott Haneda suggested in his message. Then reinstall.

-- Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team Madison, Wisconsin, USA MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

MySQL Users Conference: April 14-16, 2004
http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/