Hi can anyone tell me how to use php's mysql_last_id()  or MySQL's
INSERT_LAST_ID

I have a page registration page, using a username, password and member level
text box.

I want to send the user (upon successful insert) to a member's detail form
where the password table primary key is avaliable it can be kept and entered
to subsequent tables as a Foriegn Key.

But when I have tried it all I ever get is a value of "1".

I have looked at the manuals online and found a couple of books that list
these functions, and understand the syntax qnd what it does,

but can not find a working example or inducation as to where it goes etc

any pointers would be much appreciated

stu