Mark,

I've had some of the same thoughts as yours. Others have mentioned SHOW CREATE TABLE.

I created a Windows program to put a GUI interface on designing tables for MySQL to ease the load on my memory while setting up a database. It includes the ability to insert new fields at any place and to move fields around to make the structure make sense for sometime down the road when I try to remember what I did. It's handy when first creating a table. I haven't released it but if someone wants to take a look, let me know.

Eldon Ziegler