Mark,
Did you ever have any luck looking into this? I have
found that if I explicitly set the "user" and
"password" parameters for each database in WebSphere
(rather than using a container managed JAAS
authentication entry), I still get the error listed
below, however the database connections will work. But
it seems that their is a problem with connection
pooling, whereby the connections become stale over
time and cause an exception to be thrown next time
they are accessed. None of this was a problem in 5.0,
so I've also asked IBM if there is something they
might have changed in the 5.1 upgrade.

Tom

--- Mark Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tom O'Neil wrote:
>
> > I've been running an application on WebSphere 5.0
> > (Linux) that uses the MySql Connector/J 3.10 to
> > connect to a MySql-max 4.0.15 database (also on
> > Linux). All was working fine, until I recently
> > installed WebSphere 5.1. Now my datasources
> > (configured exactly as before) no longer work -
> > WebSphere seems unable to find them. When I start
> the
> > server, I get the following error when my
> application
> > starts:
> >
> > [2/19/04 16:04:40:481 EST] 3c6d95c5 DSConfigurati
> > DSRA0174W: Warning: GenericDataStoreHelper is
> being
> > used.
> > [2/19/04 16:04:40:891 EST] 3c6d95c5 ConnectionFac
> > J2CA0122I: Resource reference jdbc/staging could
> not
> > be located, so default values of the following are
> > used: [Resource-ref settings]
> >
> >     res-auth:                 1 (APPLICATION)
> >     res-isolation-level:      0 (TRANSACTION_NONE)
> >     res-sharing-scope:        true (SHAREABLE)
> >     res-resolution-control:   999 (undefined)
> > [Other attributes]
> >
> > isCMP1_x:                 false (not CMP1.x)
> > isJMS:                 false (not JMS)
> >
> > Has anyone else had problems with WAS 5.1 access
> MySql
> > datasources?
>
> Tom,
>
> Make sure you're using

'com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlConnectionPoolDataSource'

=====