Matt Sturtz wrote:
Hello--

We're using Red Hat's cluster manager (RH AS 2.1, MySQL 4.0.16 RPM).  Due
to a problem within the cluster software that we're working on with Red
Hat, the cluster fails over from one node to the other sometimes when it
shouldn't (one node will reboot, services will fail over-- at this point
we think it's probably related to IO on the shared quorum partitions).

When service is restored some seconds later, the slaves won't start
replicating from the newly created binary-log, instead continuing to read
from the previous one (IE db-bin.002 is created when MySQL is restarted,
but the slaves keep reading from the old file, db-bin.001).  The only fix
seems to be CHANGE MASTER TO..., which seems somewhat error prone.

Anybody else running MySQL in this type of environment have any words of
wisdom?  Thanks in advance for any info...

They should keep reading from the old one until they catch up. Do they fail to roll over to the next one after finishing the old one? If yes, it would be a bug.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/