First, full text indices have nothing to do with importing the data, it's just a special type of indexing for searching. The reason you got several rows is that you probably did not specify delimiters. Thus, every time a return was encountered, a new record was created because return is the default record delimiter for imports. Read the manual for loading data, you can specify any delimiter for fields and records.
For instance, for importing full documents I use ^^ for field delimiters and ~~ for record delimiters.