Mark wrote:

Hello,

I am long since using MySQL 3.23.58; and it works perfectly. In fact, it
works so well, that I have always been very hesitant to upgrade to the 4.x
series. Especially, since 4.x, a year ago or so, was still rather unstable.

But I like the new query-cache. So, I wonder, how stable is 4.0.18 really?
(compared to 3.23.58). Since I read that I need to upgrade DBD:mysql for all
Perl clients as well, I am not too keen to just give it a whirl, only to
find
out I upgraded to a potential lemon.

Counting on an honest assessment (and not the promo rap), how stable is it,
really? Can I risk upgrading? Or is it still too flaky? I run a news server
on it, and server mail client databases; so I really cannot afford an
unstable product.

Thanks,

- Mark

I've been running MySQL-4.0.x since 4.0.2 - which is the first one I could compile.
Before that we were using 3.23.something. It was a long time ago.

I have had some very limited problems with MySQL's stability in the early 4.0.x days, but I'm pretty sure all of my problems were caused by a failing CPU & associated hard system lock-ups which caused file system corruption. In many cases, MySQL recovered very well indeed from these disasters. In some I had to restore from a backup and run the transaction log through. Since I built a real server ( well an Athlon 2000 XP anyway ... it's better than what we had ), I have had NO problems at all. It's been up 24 / 7 without a single crash. This server has used versions 4.0.12 through 4.0.18.

I have the query cache enabled, and use a combination of MyISAM and InnoDB tables. The server isn't usually under particularly heavy loads, but we have 35 or so MS Access clients, and sometimes ... well ... they do tend to thrash DB servers in strange ways. The query cache is very good at handling this. Anyway, it's never gone down on decent hardware. Can't say much more than that :)

Dan

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer