On 29 Mar 2004, at 23:55, Donny Simonton wrote:

SCSI, 15,000 RPM drives and a decent amount of memory 2-16 gigs. Dual procs
definitely do help; we have tried it with dual procs with hyperthreading and
without and with hyperthreading seems to be much faster.

Besides that, you can run it on any OS; we use Fedora, with Linux 2.6.x.
But that's our choice.

Until recently, we ran it mainly on Tru64 Alpha boxes. We've recently been looking at new machines. Xeon machines running Linux are great if your databases are small enough for 2GB to be enough memory for the MySQL server. Many of ours are not (the human genome is 3 billion base pairs, for example, so the DNA table alone exceeds 2GB, and that pales into insignificance compared to the annotation tables)

For those, we are starting to look at Itanium2 machines running Debian. Like Donny, we're using the 2.6 kernel. MySQL is about twice as fast on an Itanium2 running the 2.6 kernel as it is on the same machine running a 2.4 kernel. We've just received a quad-CPU-Opteron machine and will be testing that as soon as we can find an OS for it that actually works...

But just say no to IDE drives!

SATA RAID devices aren't that bad, you know, and they are a lot cheaper than equivalent amounts of SCSI storage. We've used NexSan ATABoy devices, which are relatively cheap, and get you a lot of storage in very little space (10GB in a 3U box).

Having said that, our production MySQL servers disks are 15K RPM FibreChannel disks on HP StorageWorks HSV110 controllers, which is rather more at the upper end of the scale. ;-)

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group