I intend to build up a web server that is based on Fedora Core 1. Installation and configuration of Apache and PHP4 was pretty simple, but there are some problems in configuration of MySQL. I installed the MySQL server RPM included in the distribution.

Even in the MySQL pages it is mentioned that running "/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start" is enough for post-installation process. However, there is no such file. Running "mysql" leads to an error:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] smaisnie]# mysql
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Does anyone have any idea how to carry out post-installation process?

Regards Sami Maisniemi