I intend to build up a web server that is based on Fedora Core 1.
Installation and configuration of Apache and PHP4 was pretty simple, but
there are some problems in configuration of MySQL. I installed the MySQL
server RPM included in the distribution.

Even in the MySQL pages it is mentioned that running
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start" is enough for post-installation process.
However, there is no such file. Running "mysql" leads to an error:

i'm not that familar with FC1, but
can you just cd into /path/to/mysql
and run
bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

did you run scripts/mysql_install_db from /path/to/mysql ?  or is that
included as part of the rpm install.
that may not be needed, i've always installed the binaries on Solaris/RH8&9

HTH
jeff