From: "Khashan"
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 1:04 PM
Subject: Create Table Syntax

> I am looking at the syntax for creating table( section 6.5.3 of the
manual):

> CREATE [TEMPORARY] TABLE [IF NOT EXISTS] tbl_name
[(create_definition,...)] [table_options] [select_statement]

> and:
>
> create_definition:
>
> part-1 (<- inserted by me for reference)
>
> col_name type [NOT NULL | NULL] etc...[reference_definition]
>
> part-2 (<- inserted by me for reference)
>
> | PRIMARY KEY (index_col_name,...)
>
> | KEY [index_name] (index_col_name,...)
>
> | INDEX [index_name] (index_col_name,...)
>
> | UNIQUE [INDEX] [index_name] (index_col_name,...)
>
> | FULLTEXT [INDEX] [index_name] (index_col_name,...)
>
> | [CONSTRAINT symbol] FOREIGN KEY .. [reference_definition]
>
> | CHECK (expr)
>

> The syntax suggests that for each column, in addition to specifying
part-1, I can specify any or all of the options in part-2 ???.

> 1- Is this true.

Yes.

> 2- Can I specify the options in part-2 after I defined all my columns. I
have used things like:

> CREATE TABLE animals (
>
> id MEDIUMINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
>
> name CHAR(30) NOT NULL,
>
> PRIMARY KEY (id)
>
> );

Yes, this is the way a CREATE TABLE normally looks: after each column
name/datatype/null specification ("part 1" in your terminology) come the
various attributes that further define the column ("part 2" in your
terminology). A given column can have one or more of these attributes.

Rhino

Do you Yahoo!?