I am running mysql-standard-4.0.18-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386-linuxthreads and
I am unable to achieve more than 440 connections.  I receive the common
"Can't create a new thread (errno 35). If you are not out of available
memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug".  Now, I
have 1.5GB of free memory, so that's not the problem. I've also thought
about the limits issue, I've checked, they are as follows:

Resource limits (current):

  cputime          infinity secs

  filesize         infinity kb

  datasize          2096128 kb

  stacksize          524288 kb

  coredumpsize     infinity kb

  memoryuse        infinity kb

  memorylocked     infinity kb

  maxprocesses         5547

  openfiles           11095

  sbsize           infinity bytes

  vmemoryuse       infinity kb

My thread_stack is about 192kb in MySQL, so 192*440 is only 84MB, which
should be under 512MB.  I'm not running out of processes or file handles, or
sockets from sysctl -a.  Does anyone have any other suggestions or things to
double check?

Nick