eg. say a table is created using:

create table fred (f1 char(10), f2 int)

Then it has neither keys nor an AUTO_INCREMENT field.

Let's say 1000,000 records are then inserted into table fred.

I then say 'select * from fred' and loop through results writing to a web page.

I stop writing to the web page after say 20 records.

The user hits 'next page'.

I want to say 'select * from fred where ?field? > ?value?

Where ?field? and ?value? are what I want to know.

Surely there is some kind of 'record number' or something available in mySQL for me to :

1. Retrieve and save
2. Query against

I'm new to this mailing list. Apologies if I am asking this question of an inappropriate email address.

Regards ... Ross

. Ross Honniball                  JCU Bookshop Cairns Supervisor
. James Cook Uni, McGreggor Rd, Smithfield, Qld. 4878, Australia
. Ph:07.4042.1157  Fx:07.4042.1158   Em:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
. There are no problems. Only solutions.