Hi,

        I'm trying to do a replication of two servers (one is mysql version
4.1.0-alpha-debug-debug (slave) on debian and the other is 4.1.0-alpha-debug-debug-log
(master) on RH9).  No I can't upgrade for now.

What I've done is that I stopped the master, copied the data folder to the slave.  I
got the data from SHOW MASTER STATUS and input it in the slave, and created the user
on the master, as directed.

The problem is that when I START SLAVE, I get this error: ERROR 1200: The server is
not configured as slave, fix in config file or with CHANGE MASTER TO

The problem might be caused by the fact that I have a firewall with nat between them,
but I set up the user accordingly ([EMAIL PROTECTED] name of the firewall].  The slave
is able to reach port 3306 on the master and port-forwarding is enabled on the
firewall, forwarding port 3306 to the slave.

SHOW MASTER STATUS on the master:

mysql> show master status;
| File             | Position | Binlog_do_db | Binlog_ignore_db |
| bobby-bin.000023 |       79 |              |                  |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Thanks
--
Ugo Bellavance