Marvin Cummings wrote:

I finally managed to get this working. It turns out I was using the wrong
password for the root account and once I remembered what the correct
password was I was able to log in via phpMyAdmin. I'm using MySQL 5.0alpha with php4.3.4. and phpMyAdmin ver2.5.6.

Now I want to switch the 'auth_type' to 'HTTP'. I change it to HTTP and
remove the password. I try to log in as root, localhost\root and
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and get a "You are not authorized to view this page" error.
What do I need to do to change the auth_type?

Thanks again for the help.

Did you set up the controluser? phpmyadmin needs to have a user and password it can use to access mysql to read the user table to compare the username/password you supply with auth_type HTTP against what's set up in the db. You have to create the controluser in mysql, then edit your config.inc.php to set the controluser variables accordingly. See the phpmyadmin manual <http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/> for the details.

Michael