The answers are wide and varied:

* History - MySQL has been an open source product for longer
* Flexibility - MySQL's different table types are ideal for some situations
* Performance - MySQL is the fastest database on the planet for most tasks
* Support - There are massive amounts of software out there that will interface with MySQL

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi Friends,

I am working on a pilot project that will introduce open source databases in my organisation.

In my search I have found that MySQL and MaxDB both are open source databases, but MaxDB is being used very less in comparison to MySQL. If I link this with the fact that MaxDB provides many advanced features that MySQL dowsn't provide, first question that hits my mind is why is it so?
Why MySQL is used more in comparison to MaxDB????

I am unable to find any genuine reason behind this, hope you can help me out!!!!

Thanks & Regards...

Pratik Ajmera
Tata Consultancy Services
Raheja Green,
Kulupwadi Road, Borivali (East)
Mumbai - 400 066,Maharashtra
India
Ph:- +91-22-56688712
Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://www.tcs.com

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this message is intended only and solely for the addressed individual or entity indicated in this message and for the exclusive use of the said addressed individual or entity indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery
of the message to such person) and may contain legally privileged and confidential information belonging to Tata Consultancy Services. It must not be printed, read, copied, disclosed, forwarded, distributed or used (in whatsoever manner) by any person other than the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited and may constitute unlawful act and can possibly attract legal action, civil and/or criminal. The contents of this message need not necessarily reflect or endorse the views of Tata Consultancy Services on any subject matter.
Any action taken or omitted to be taken based on this message is entirely at your risk and neither the originator of this message nor Tata Consultancy Services takes any responsibility or liability towards the same. Opinions, conclusions and any other information contained in this message that do not relate to the official business of Tata Consultancy Services shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by Tata Consultancy Services or any affiliate of Tata Consultancy Services. If you have received this message in error, you should destroy this message and may please notify the sender by e-mail. Thank you.